September General Meeting

September General Meeting

September 20, 2022

We opened up our meeting with Megan Gold. She talked about her time at OU as well as being Miss Oklahoma. She gave some advice on making connections and just soaking everything in including just having fun while being in college. She said that the best thing you can do while in college is to ask questions and ask for help.

Jacob Terrell also came to speak about the National Weather Museum and Science Center. 

Tyler Bell also came to talk about his work with BLISS. Tyler is a research scientist at CIWRO who works with BLISS. Bliss is looking for people interested to help with UAS work including coptorsondes and damage assessment. They are currently looking for people with a Part 107 license or people interested in getting one to come help fly drones. They are also looking for people to assist with operations. If you are interested, please reach out to Tyler! 

The OU Westheimer Aviation Festival is looking for volunteers on October 1st from 9AM-2PM! They will have free breakfast! The Weather Friends will also be in attendance, so if you are interested, please reach out to Kaitlyn.

Little Event will be October 22nd from 9AM-12PM. We are doing an OU Met. Organizations group again, so if you’d like to volunteer, please sign up!

We will be having our September social event at Pink Berry on September 22nd! This will also be a benefit night for us, so please bring friends – even if they aren’t in SCAN! 

The Freshman also voted on the Freshman Representative. The Freshman Representatives for the 2022-2023 school year are Reagan Mendeke and Ethan Stroberg!

September Officer Meeting

September Officer Meeting

September 13, 2022

Synopsis (Meeting Minutes):

Per our constitution, all OU SCAN leaders are required to attend mandatory yearly Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training. As per a vote during this meeting, you are expected to attend all of them, but you must attend 2/3 of them at a minimum. If you cannot attend regardless of any reason, you must contact the SCAN President and Vice Presidents, and A&GS Assistant Dean via a formal email to explain why you cannot attend the training. This amendment passed with 10 in favor and 0 against.

We now have an Apparel/Fundraiser Chair! Jack Shumaker will be appointed to this role.

Our September General Meeting is September 20th from 5-7:30 PM. We will be getting Papa Johns with salads. Megan Gold will be speaking from 6-7:30 and we will be eating in the atrium from 5-6PM. The cost for food will be roughly $165. 

We are currently looking for companies to print t-shirts and have a couple of options. We could continue to talk with ID Solutions and try to figure out a plan, or we could have our apparel fundraiser now with a SoM friendly design and go through a cheap printing vendor, pay the difference, and then sell as much as we want. 

The abstract for AMS has been submitted! All officers will be listed as authors, but you must have an AMS account to be added. Once you have created an AMS account, please let Kaitlyn know!

The NSF EPSCoR Women in Science Conference is October 4th at the Oklahoma Science Museum from 9AM-2PM. If you are able to attend and help present, please do!

We will be having a Pinkberry Picnic on September 22nd from 4-8PM. The October General Meeting will be October 18th from 5-7:30PM. The October Social Event will be October 27th. Last but not least, the National Weather Festival will be October 29th from 10AM-2PM!

We have a couple of service opportunities coming up as well! The Little Event will be October 22nd from 9AM-12PM. 

Our next officer meeting will be October 11th at 6:30PM.

August Officer Meeting

The Welcome Back Bash will be Friday, August 29th from 4-6:30 PM. We will have an intro to the OWL/SCAN meeting at the NWC prior to going to Reaves Park for that main event at 4:30. This will be a great time to meet new students and get people involved in SCAN! 

The September Officer Meeting will be Tuesday, September 16th at 6:30. We will have our September General Meeting on September 20th from 5-7:30 PM. We will have food from 5-6 (Pizza – thinking Dominoes, but we will probably get whatever is cheapest), and our speaker will begin at 6. Due to a class, we won’t officially have the room until 5:30 PM. Megan Gold will be speaking at our September meeting to discuss her time at OU and her current career path as well as her Miss Oklahoma Platform! There is a $102 travel fee since she is coming from Tulsa, but this will go to the Miss OK Organization to help with their scholarship!

Our budget is a little tighter this year due to a lower amount of start funds than usual, so we will need to try to recruit many members to help bring in a little bit more in dues. Assistant Dean Aisha Owusu has verbally told us that the college will pay for ⅓ of the cost of new Weather Friends cards which will also help out our budget. We will also have some other minor revenue sources such as SGA funding and donations at the National Weather Festival, however these income sources are not set in stone yet. 

Savannah also went over the inventory of all our merchandise. If we were to sell all of our merch at our listed price, we could make about $1700!

Our t-shirts have finally been approved by OU Printing Services, Marketing, and Licensing!! We will be using ID solutions again this year and we will hopefully have a pre-order link to use at the Welcome Back Bash. Shirts will be $16 + tax and we will sell them for $25. Officers will be able to put their officer title for an extra $5. Despite inflation, our shirts will only be $1 higher than last year!

We have been invited to submit an abstract and present on “Pre-College Education Initiatives” at the 32nd Conference on Education during the 103rd AMS Annual Meeting! They want us to talk about our outreach activities and how we maintain membership. We can do an oral presentation or a poster, and right now we are leaning towards a poster. The deadline for our abstract is currently August 31st. 

We registered to attend the Oklahoma NSF EPSCoR Women in Science Conference on October 4th at the Oklahoma Science Museum. The conference will be from 9AM-2PM. We will be participating alongside the SoM Graduate Student Outreach Group to help promote meteorology. There will be about 1500 students in attendance!

Weather Friends have been invited to be part of the OU Westheimer Aviation Festival on October 1st. We are still waiting to hear about the logistics for this event.

Our October Officer Meeting will be on October 11th at 6:30 and the October General Meeting will be on October 18th from 5-7:30 PM. We hope to have Dr. Naoko Sakaeda come to speak about tropical meteorology. Our October Social Event will be on October 27th. 

The National Weather Festival will be on October 29th from 10 AM-2 PM and we hope to have a Resume Workshop on November 10 at 6:30 PM. 

We have some Fall Service Opportunities coming up as well. We will be participating in the OU Food Pantry Drive. We also have Little Event, a Supply Drive for the Boys and Girls Club of Norman, and several other opportunities later on in the semester!

For our September social event, we will be doing a benefit night at Pinkberry! Marcus was finally able to get some information from them and we will be requesting September 22nd in the afternoon/evening. Marcus is also working on getting us a nationwide benefit night at Panda Express which will be October 13th if it gets approved! 

July Officer Meeting

We opened the meeting by discussing the OWL/SCAN Joint Meeting that will happen on August 26th from 4-6:30PM. We will have a joint meeting in NWC 1350, and then use the shuttles to go to Reeves Park to party! We’ll have food trucks and games and DJ Nexxus will be there. For games, we are thinking about some icebreakers and some dodgeball/pinball conglomeration that Savannah came up with. We will also have a table with OU SCAN merch and for people to pay dues. 

The National Weather Festival will take place on October 19th from 10AM-2PM. This will be a great opportunity for the Weather Friends! We will be getting new stickers and cards for this event. We might also do some face painting. We will have a table to sell some of our older merch.

Savannah just got access to our bank account, so once she gets the bank statement, she will work with Andrew on finalizing the budget for this year, but it shouldn’t be much different from last year. 

We also discussed multiple t-shirt options for members, as well as officer shirts.

Everyone seemed to love our speakers last year and many liked having a zoom option. However, many did not like having zoom speakers or eating so late in the evening. This year we are thinking about having food at the beginning and then having the speaker start a little later so that people can get food at the beginning. We will also be able to eat inside 1313 again! We are also considering changing our meeting day so that more members can come – such as those that are in Pride. Savannah will get in touch with OWL Exec to make sure we don’t have meeting times that collide, and we want to make sure we aren’t having meetings in the same week.

As far as social events went, people really enjoyed trivia and bingo. We are thinking about trying social events in places other than the NWC such as on Campus Corner or even a picnic on the North Oval.

Savannah wrapped up the meeting with some expectations of us as officers. 

April General Meeting

This month we had 2 guest speakers: A broadcast meteorologist from KOCO – Taylor Cox and a CIWRO Research Meteorologist – Dr. Matt Flournoy.

Taylor talked a little bit about her career path and how she got to KOCO. She then talked a little bit about her day-to-day schedule including some of the reporting she does during the week and the importance of communication. If you have any questions for Taylor, you can email her at taylor.cox@hearts.com. KOCO is also taking internships, and you can email jcarlisle@hearst.com if you are interested!

Dr. Flournoy talked a bit about his path to working at CIWRO. He then talked about some of the research he is doing right now including a brief explanation of supercell dynamics. He also talked a little bit about TORUS. He walked us through some forecasting scenarios for previous events and talked a little bit about how to decide when/where to go for field projects. If you have any questions for Matt, you can email him at matthew.flournoy@noaa.gov

Leia gave a brief overview of all the events we have done this year including the many service events we have done. 

The Weather Friends Book Fair will be on April 28th and 29th from 9 AM-6 PM! This is open to anybody OU affiliated, so feel free to bring friends to come see the NWC, buy some books, and participate in fun weather trivia!

We gave away our attendance prize for the night and then ate Pickleman’s during our awards ceremony!

April Officer Meeting

Nominations for next year’s officer board close on April 16th and then elections are from April 17th to April 24th. 

Our April social event will be on April 22nd and we will be doing BanjoBug Trivia. The General meeting will be on April 25th and we will be having a broadcast meteorologist and a meteorologist that does fieldwork come talk to us. We will be having Pickleman’s for food and announcing election results. We will be giving away our perfect attendance prize as well as our other normal attendance prize.

The Weather Friends Book Fair will be on April 28th and 29th from 9 am-6 pm. This is open to anyone affiliated with OU. This is a great chance for non-meteorology majors to visit the Weather Center! We still need more people to volunteer as Weather Friends.

We finished up the meeting by talking about some ideas for next year including getting cords/stoles for graduating seniors and getting new Weather Friends Merch. 

Emergency Amendment Meeting

The officer board met to discuss an amendment to clarify what the definition of a meeting is considered to be and what active status looks like for members. For the remainder of this school year, only general meetings will count toward attendance and social events will be counted as extra attendance. This amendment was created to more clearly define what an active member is considered to be and what meetings members are expected to attend in order to be considered active.

The following amendment was passed by all attending board members: 

A. Active Member – An individual who has paid their dues to the organization, attends at least 66% of  general meetings, and one (1) social event per semester, and participates in at least one service project each year through the organization. Each additional service event can be used to make-up for a missed meeting, which includes but is not limited to, Little Event, Big Event, food drives, FEMA courses, Weather Friends events, etc. OU SCAN officers may create service events for chapter members and those events/opportunities must be approved by the President and Vice Presidents. Active members of the previous semester who are studying abroad will retain their active membership status and not owe dues for that semester.

Note: A meeting is defined as, “an assembly of people, especially the members of a society or committee, for discussion or entertainment.” (Oxford Languages Dictionary)”

This amendment passed 11-0 and will take effect on May 1, 2022.

Members still concerned about maintaining active status will be able to complete FEMA courses to make up for missed meetings.

March General Meeting

Our guest speaker this month was Marcus Landon Aydlett from NWS Guam. He talked a little bit about NWS Guam and some of the weather that they deal with. Their forecast office is built to withstand the worst – they don’t evacuate when tropical storms come through their area. He then talked a little bit about his path to being a meteorologist at NWS Guam including a mini-geography lesson about Guam and its islands. 

He then shifted into talking about tropical cyclones including the largest and smallest typhoons to impact Guam – Super Typhoon Tip and Tropical Cyclone Tracy respectively. He gave us some info about some of the products they issue and some of the wordings they use and how they communicate this information. He talked about some of the key issues with communication such as false speculation from the public and panic. Impact-Based Decision Support Services (IDSS) aims to help minimize public panic and help core partners make the right decisions. There are four phases to IDSS – Relationship Building, Readiness, Delivery, and Assessment. 

If you have any questions, you can email him at marcus.aydlett@noaa.gov

After Aydlett was done presenting, Leia gave our general announcements and talked about our upcoming events.

The Big Event is this Saturday (April 2nd) from 10AM-2PM at Hall Park HOA. If you weren’t at the meeting and need to pick up your shirt, please contact your class rep or one of the other officers. 

Nominations for the 2022-2023 Elections open on April 9th and close on April 16th. Voting will then begin April 17th and end April 14th. You must be a met major to run for President or VP. Graduate and Freshman Class Rep elections will take place in the Fall. There are some appointed positions including Historian/Webmaster, Outreach Coordinator, Deputy of Media, and Apparel/Fundraising Chair. 

The next DEI Training is Friday, April 22 from 2PM-3:30PM in NWC 1313. This is only for students. 

Our next General meeting will be on April 25 at 6PM. We are hoping to have a broadcast meteorologist panel. This is our last general meeting of the year. We will announce the election results and give away a prize to somebody with perfect attendance – a Weather Themed Gift Basket! We will also have our normal attendance prize which will be a Galileo Thermometer or a Storm Glass. 

We had our attendance drawings which were won by Andrew Kenny and Lily Raye. 

March Officer Meeting

This was our first officer meeting in person since Covid started! We opened the meeting with some ice breakers for us to do something fun at the beginning.

We then started by going over and voting on three new amendments to add to the constitution. The first amendment was the Vice President Co-Positions amendment. The amendment states as follows:

First: Co-Positions

This provision cannot occur regarding the office of the President, Vice President of Internal Affairs, and Vice President of External Affairs of the OU SCAN Board. All other elected positions can select this option.

This amendment passed 11-0, with one board member absent due to class obligations.

The next amendment we voted on was the Transitional Fundraiser Period Amendment. This amendment states as follows:

“If the need for a fundraiser arises in the transition period of the boards the two boards will hold a meeting to discuss how they wish to spend their funds and/or conduct a fundraiser.”

This amendment passed 11-0, with one board member absent due to class obligations.

The third amendment we voted on was the Freshman and Graduate Representative Elections amendment. This amendment states as follows:

Nominees for Class Representatives should be members of the curriculum class they are running for by the fall semester of the same year. Representatives can only be voted on by members of their respective classes. Freshmen and Graduate Representative elections will occur via a virtual vote.  The nominations will begin on the day of the meeting and close exactly one week later.  The following day, voting will open and will close one week from that day. Voting will be held in the fall semester by a simple majority of active members of their class who are in attendance at the meeting.

  • Note: This allows both freshmen and graduate students to understand the conditions of being a student leader within OU SCAN and allows them to learn about the position to decide if they want to commit to the leadership position.”

This amendment passed 11-0, with one board member absent due to class obligations

Our March social event will be on March 25th. We will be playing Family Feud and have Pickleman’s catering for food. March 28th is our General Meeting with Landon Aydlett, and we will be catering Olive Garden. 

Nominations for next year’s board will open on April 9th and Voting will begin on April 17th. 

The Big Event is April 2nd from 10 am – 2 pm and the Spring game does not conflict with it. If you haven’t signed up, be sure to do so before March 11th at midnight!

Our next officer meeting will be on April 13th at 7 PM.

February General Meeting

This month we had 2 guest speakers: Dr. Lodangco and Dr. Wootten. 

Dr. Wootten is a research scientist at the South Central Climate Adaptation Science Center. She gave a brief introduction into climate projections including the Global Climate Model. She also talked about one of the projects she is involved with – the Late False Spring Exposure Index. She talked about some of the uncertainty in climate models and how that can be used for impact assessments. Her email is amwootte@ou.edu if you have any questions.

Dr. Lodangco is also a research scientist at the South Central Climate Adaptation Science Center and she talked about drought forecasting in South-Central Oklahoma. She walked us through a simplified version of creating a model and gave some insight into the formula they used. This model will eventually be applied to other areas in Oklahoma and the US. 

After our guest speakers, Kaitlyn announced she was taking over the position of Outreach Coordinator for the remainder of the semester. She gave a quick overview of Weather Friends for any new members or anyone that wasn’t at our first joint meeting. If you are interested in joining, you can join the Weather Friends GroupMe! 

Leia then talked about the changes to our constitution from our last board meeting. She then talked about the upcoming events including the remaining DEI training and the March Social Event. There is a DEI training on Friday, March 4th from 2-3:30 pm in NWC 1313. On March 25th, we will be playing Family Feud. On March 28th, our general meeting guest speaker will be Landon Aydlett – the Warning Coordination Meteorologist for NWS Guam.

Marcus and Kaitlyn then talked about Big Event, which is OU’s official day of community service. The Big Event will be on April 2nd from 10 am-2 pm and members can register under the OU SCAN/OWL group. The last day to sign up is March 11th. 

Nic Nair and Lucas Sims were the winners of tonight’s attendance prizes.